The Importance of Proper Air Conditioner Care
An Air Conditioner Tuneup Can Reduce Repair Costs
Any time the temperature changes should serve as a reminder you need to address your home's heating and cooling system.It's important to keep your air conditioning unit running at the top of its game, and you can do that by working with a Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioner (HVAC) professional skilled in helping you get all you can out of your air conditioner unit.
Taking correct care of your air conditioner on a regular basis extends the useful product life while reducing the severity and frequency of problems.
According to Energy Star, you should always maintain your HVAC system to prevent future problems and unwanted costs. You can keep your cooling at peak performance by having a contractor do an annual pre-season check-up. Contractors get busy once summer comes, so it's best to check the cooling system in the spring before the weather heats up.
A typical maintenance checkup for your HVAC system should include the following:
- Testing the system's controls to make sure they run properly, as your system should start, stop, and operate without excessive noise or delay;
- Annual lubrication of appropriate parts to ensure motor friction does not cause damage to your system, as increased friction can also cause your system to run less efficiently;
- A thorough check of all electrical connections, since these connections are important to ensure both safety and efficiency;
- Adjust the air conditioner refrigerant level if it is too low or too high, because the proper amount of refrigerant helps keep your system running longer and more efficiently;
- A thorough inspection of the condensate drain, since plugged drains often impact indoor humidity levels and can cause indoor water damage;
- A thorough cleaning of the system's condenser and evaporator air conditioning coils, as clean coils ensure your system runs efficiently throughout the summer months; and
- Checking the airflow to see if your blower is running properly, because if the output of air feels weak, you should consider repairing your blower or having your duct work repaired;
Additional help for your air conditioner
In between seasonal tuneups to your air conditioner, we recommend the following tips:
You can give your air conditioner a longer lifespan and protect yourself from unexpected repair bills with a protection plan from Direct Energy®. Browse our cooling protection plans or call us at 1-888-733-1683 for more information.
Protection from the Unexpected
Direct Energy's Heating and Cooling Essentials plans fill the gap left by your homeowners insurance. Get furnace and air conditioning maintenance and repair coverage you can depend on. Get protected today!Enroll Now